Friday, January 9, 2009

Book Review: Skinny Bitch


Skinny Bitch: NY bestseller, really popular, and fresh. According to the cover, a "no-nonsense, touch-love guide for savvy girls who want to stop eating crap and start looking fabulous."


True. The witty banter that makes up the book is refreshing, and their approach to health and losing weight is more of a lifestyle rather than a diet. They give the down and dirty on medications, the crap in our foods, and how our bodies are supposed to function. They are strictly and thoroughly vegan, but some useful insight can be gleaned from the reading whether or not you subscribe to that choice.


Still, I can't recommend it. Reason? Their arguments against meat I found to be inflammatory and tasteless. While I agree that factory farming is deplorable, I recognize that there are alternatives and it is possible to have healthy meat and dairy . . . but as the book went on for pages and pages about the same old stuff, I got bored. And skipped almost half the book.


I have nothing against veganism. Nothing whatsoever. What I find annoying is the "production" argument to justify not eating meat more than the health argument.


The book isn't all bad, but I won't be reading it (or any of the others in the series) again.

No comments: