Sunday, January 31, 2010

Hope Vs. Belief

I'll be honest. I've been feeling stuck for a long time -- since I left California, actually. I'm mentally blocked and discouraged although I have wavering moments of hope that shine through occasionally.

Lately, however, I have been realizing something more and more. There is a marked difference between hope and belief. Hope implies helplessness. For example, I hope that someday we will have an improved income situation and be able to buy our farm. That's how I've been living for the past year and a half. Hope lends itself to fluctuating circumstances and feelings of inadequacy. Everybody hopes that their situation will someday be better, but few actually achieve that.

Belief, however, shows determination. If I believe that Kenny or I will find a good job, then I am more liable to take affirmative steps to lead to that (not that by hoping one isn't trying to improve things, but the mental outlook is different). I believe that it will happen, therefore I am not wasting my energy doubting. Doubting sucks a lot of energy, trust me. And all that energy can go instead to baby steps to get us to our ultimate goal.

The problem is that few of us know how to manifest positive thoughts into tangible reality. I by no means am an expert, but I've found something that helps me: I say it. See, deep down, I usually don't believe in myself . . . but, I'm trying to change that.

-I believe that we were intelligent and qualified enough to reach our goals of financial freedom and self-employment.
-I believe that I am capable of working in my passion, and also that I will continue to find my passion.

It seems small, but it really does change one's outlook from helplessness to power.

No comments: